[NBLUG/talk] OLPC demand exceeds supply!

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 23:53:49 PST 2008

Apparently, the OLPC foundation's "Give 1, Get 1" program was such a
huge success that their production capacity is overwhelmed.  My order
(and countless others, I'm sure) has been delayed, and won't arrive
for another 45-60 days.  Not surprisingly, I have mixed feelings--I'm
glad that the program was successful, but I'm annoyed that it's going
to take so long to get my hands on an XO.

This Spring, I'm leading hikes at the Fairfield Osborn Preserve with
elementary school children, and I had thought that an XO laptop might
prove to be an excellent teaching tool.  For example, I could lead
them to the creek, and then use the laptop to show them pictures of
the creek before the big rains from two years ago.  But hikes start in
about 30 days, which is 15-30 days (or 2-5 hikes) before I could
expect to receive my XO laptop!

I'm not terribly upset, though.  I've led these hikes before, without
any such technological aids, so I know I don't need it.  I just think
it would be a great way to enrich their experience.

I hope that they eventually revive the "Give 1, Get 1" program, as I
know a lot of people in this area who I think would really benefit
from them.  Of course, I also hope they can significantly boost their
production capacity and avoid future delays.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>