[NBLUG/talk] Can't connect to the Internet

Ken McGlothlen mcglk at artlogix.net
Thu Jan 31 12:02:26 PST 2008

| From: Roger House <rhouse at sonic.net>
|
| [...]  I looked at /etc/resolv.conf and found this (other than comments and
| blank lines):
|
|     search hsd1.ca.comcast.net. infocentricity.com
|     nameserver 192.168.11.25
|     nameserver 192.168.11.26
|
| Unfortunately, I don't know if this info is okay, and, if not, what it should
| be changed to.  My ISP is Comcast and the place I VPN into is InfoCentricity,
| both referenced in the "search" line.
|
| Here is the info displayed by the Status tab of my LinkSys router:
|
| [...]
| WAN:
|    (MAC Address: 00-04-5A-D2-D0-1C)
|
|    IP Address:    67.188.231.59
|    Subnet Mask:    255.255.254.0
|    Default Gateway:    67.188.230.1
|    DNS:    208.201.224.11
|         208.201.224.33
|          68.87.76.178
|
| Please tell me how resolv.conf should be modified.

Well, your LinkSys is getting its information from the Comcast DHCP server;
that's where it's getting its DNS server information from.  If you change the
contents of your /etc/resolv.conf file to match:

        search hsd1.ca.comcast.net. infocentricity.com
        nameserver 208.201.224.11
        nameserver 208.201.224.33
        nameserver 68.87.76.178

that should work.