[NBLUG/talk] Can't connect to the Internet

Roger House rhouse at sonic.net
Thu Jan 31 15:39:05 PST 2008

Ken McGlothlen wrote:
> | From: Roger House <rhouse at sonic.net>
> |
> | [...] However, all is not yet ideal.  Although I seem to have full access to
> | the Internet, I am now not able to VPN to the remote machine.  When I run
> | vpnc-connect as I always have in the past, I now get this error:
> |
> |     /etc/vpnc/vpnc-script:  1:  Cannot open /var/run/vpnc/resolv.conf-backup
> |         No such file
> |
> | Despite this message, I am told that VPNC started in the background.  When
> | I run Terminal Server Client to connect, I get this error:
> |
> |     szego.infocentricity.com unable to resolve host
> |
> | That is the name of the remote machine I work on via VPN.  I have made no
> | changes at all to the scripts and procedures I use to VPN.
> |
> | Any ideas?
>
> Well, I can't get szego.infocentricity.com to resolve, either.
>
>         $ dig szego.infocentricity.com
>
>         ; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> szego.infocentricity.com
>         ;[...]
>
>         ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
>         infocentricity.com.     1h57m27s IN SOA  ns1.infocentricity.com. hostmaster.infocentricity.com. (
>                                                 200711160       ; serial
>                                                 3H              ; refresh
>                                                 1H              ; retry
>                                                 5D              ; expiry
>                                                 2H )            ; minimum
>
>         ;; [...]
>         $ _
>
> Since that authoritative response is coming from infocentricity.com's
> nameserver, it appears that the hostname is wrong, or that someone on their end
> screwed up, or the hostname isn't available on an external nameserver.
>
> This leads me to think that szego is available only on an internal nameserver
> available to you once the VPN connection is running.
>
> Are you sure VPNC is running?
>
>                                                         ---Ken

It is true that szego.infocentricity.com is not visible outside
of InfoCentricity, as I understand it.  Here is how I have
connected with it for the past 6 months or so:

    vpnc_connect infocent

where /etc/vpnc/infocent.conf contains

## generated by pcf2vpnc.pl
IPSec ID infocent
IPSec gateway chapman.infocentricity.com
Xauth username rhouse
IKE DH Group dh2

I get the message that VPNC is running in the background
with pid 6713.  Then ps aux shows this:

root      6713  0.0  0.0   2284   404 ?        Ss   15:13   0:00
vpnc-connect infocent

So it looks like vpnc is running.  I am wondering if the missing
resolv.conf-backup file is an issue.  I have never gotten this
message before.

Roger