[NBLUG/talk] fighting Ubuntu, and the "source" bash command

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Mon Jul 7 13:19:26 PDT 2008

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 11:43:10 -0700, "steven smith" <sjs at sonic.net> said:
> Hi Bob
>
> Are these scripts something you were running before as root?
>    How did you run them before?

I had run them before on an earlier Ubuntu. They would run if I first
had a root prompt gotten by a "sudo su". They wouldn't run if I did
"sudo commandname". But on 8.04.1 I had to do "sudo su" or "sudo -i" and
then "source commandname".

BTW this is all related to the easyrsa scripts as part of openvpn.

It all works now, by the way. Thanks to you all I now understand what
was going on and why the environmental variables that were being set by
one script were not being read by another - I needed all to share the
same shell instance. Evidently on earlier versions if a script set an
environmental variable it would stay set after the script completed.

Cheerful regards,

Bob