[NBLUG/talk] Sebastopol Downtown WiFi

steven smith sjs at sonic.net
Thu Mar 13 11:03:02 PDT 2008

Christopher Wagner wrote:
> Also on a related note, I've never been able to get a functional set-up
> going so that I, as a paying Sonic.net user, have unrestricted
> functionality on the net.  The Cisco VPN client is a bear to set-up, or
> at least my attempts so far have encountered this.  I run Ubuntu 7.10.
> To be far, I haven't tried any time recently, but any general thoughts
> or suggestions on that topic?

I'm in redwood cafe at the moment using Ubuntu 7.04.  I
couldn't get the Cisco VPN to work either but there was a
posting long ago on Sonic's newsgroup about using vpnc.  I
did an install using synaptic.  Here's the version info:

vpnc version 0.4.0
Copyright (C) 2002-2006 Geoffrey Keating, Maurice Massar, others
vpnc comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute copies of vpnc under the terms of the
GNU General
Public License.  For more information about these matters,
see the files
named COPYING.

Supported DH-Groups: nopfs dh1 dh2 dh5
Supported Hash-Methods: md5 sha1
Supported Encryptions: null des 3des aes128 aes192 aes256
Supported Auth-Methods: psk psk+xauth

my /etc/vpnc/default.conf looks like:
IPSec ID Standard VPN
IPSec secret standard
IPSec gateway 208.201.249.242

/etc/vpnc directory is owned by root and rwx for root only.

It's worked ok for me in downtown santa rosa too.

Good luck.

Steve S.

Steve S.