[NBLUG/talk] eee pc

derf at sonic.net derf at sonic.net
Tue Mar 18 10:47:32 PDT 2008

For what it's worth to people that are considering getting an EEE, I
endorse it wholeheartedly. I'm typing on mine right now; when my old Dell
laptop's power brick went to the Great Beyond a couple months ago, I
picked up this EEE. I have been doing just great with it as my only
computer so far. I have no complaints on the speed and since I don't care
about movies/music the storage is enough for me (I have the midrange 4G
model).

For complete computer neophytes it is perfect - the "easy" mode that is
enabled by default would enable your grandmother to get online and send an
email, it really is that easy. For more advanced people, read about how to
put into advanced desktop mode and add some other Xandros repositories. Or
just go with Ubuntu or another distribution that others have customized
for it.

I figured I'd jump to Xubuntu (like on my last laptop) for lower overhead,
but honestly, the KDE/Xandros install is fine speedwise for me. I've even
setup Apache and MySQL on it, works great!

For those concerned about a keyboard, see if you can find a demo model (I
got mine from PC Club) and try it out - I thought it would be tough, but
I've completely adapted to it with my fat fingers and now type at my
normal speed of 98wpm. In fact, I used a Mac desktop the other day and the
keys are so far apart I had trouble! :-)

I've moved out of the SoCo area, but if anyone is in the Sac area and
wants to see the EEE drop me a line and I'd be happy to meet up with you.
It's a seriously awesome machine, and if Asus keeps making these things
and evolving them I'll buy a new one every three years.

Derf