[NBLUG/talk] eee pc

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Mar 19 16:14:51 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 07:46:42PM -0700, steven smith wrote:
> Bill Kendrick wrote:
> >
> > Isn't it true that the Eee uses solid state (flash) drives, and not
> > hard drives?  (Hence its ability to boot up in, like, 15 seconds, IIRC.)
> Yes -- it does have flash drives, but (I could be mistaken)
> I don't think flash is all that much faster than a hard disk
> especially when writes are involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Flash_memory_as_a_replacement_for_hard_drives

Other random articles I briefly Googled for ("flash vs HDD") seem to all
mention NAND's speed and low-latency as being a benefit vs. traditional
platter HDDs.

No time to dig up hard numbers right now, though. :)

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/