[NBLUG/talk] Help with locating good software

scott mc scottmc2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 07:06:28 PDT 2008

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 15:53:42 -0700
From: Eric Landerville <eric at landerville.com>
Subject: [NBLUG/talk] Help with locating good software
To: "General NBLUG chatter about anything Linux, answers to questions,
       etc." <talk at nblug.org>,         SoCoSA general discussion list
       <discuss at socosa.org>

Hello,
I'm trying to find some good help desk / trouble ticket software.  My
team has increased from 2 people to 8 and it's no longer feasible to
just shout "hey I'm going to take care of ..."  We need something
centralized and web based.  What I am looking for is something that does
at least the following:
Web based
Trouble ticket tracking system.
Either a front page with the ticket submission or the ability for the
customer to enter in name/location/contact info on each ticket (they
move about quite often).  What I'm trying to say is that I don't want a
single set of contact info and that is all we have to go on to get a
hold of whom ever entered the ticket.
A searchable knowledge base of ticket problems/solutions (it would be
nice if the program asked if you want to submit the solution into the
database, we really don't need "trained customer" 100 times).
A project management portion.  Nothing so grand as something like M$
Project, just a different ticket type that can be open ended and allow
for constant updates.

A real bonus would be something that can integrate with (or has
embedded) a inventory software that can work with existing bar code
labels.  But this isn't really necessary.

As I took all of Mark Street's Linux classes I have no fear of the
command line to configure.  It would also be great if the software was
free, but we do have a small budget for this.

Any help someone can give would be greatly appreciated,

Eric

There's also trac, not sure if it covers all of your needs but it
handles tickets rather well and there's a ton of available plugins to
add other features to it.
http://trac.edgewall.org/
http://trac-hacks.org/

Someone might have already pointed this out by now.  I'm set for
digest mode and just got the digest of the 7th today on the 14th...  i
guess some day the internets are very slow.
-scottmc