[NBLUG/talk] SSHD on a different port

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Thu Sep 11 20:30:14 PDT 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Bob Blick wrote:

---snip---

> So I find that if I change "Port 22" to something different in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config (this is a machine running Ubuntu server 8.04) then
> it seems to do what I want. I can log in at that port number but not on
> port 22. The port I've chosen is way up high, above 16000, and not used
> by any other service.
>
> Am I missing anything? Are there some services that depend on sshd
> running on port 22 that are going to bite me in the butt later on?

hi Bob,

nope, lots of machines have ssh on other ports as you describe with
sshd_config.  it does reduce the random login attempts that fill the
logs with the inconvenience that you have to remember the port number
even when stressed and you _have_ to get into the machine remotely.

-ron

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email