[NBLUG/talk] Speeding up KDE, I'll try anything

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Wed Aug 5 11:04:26 PDT 2009

I've been using Ubuntu lately and it really is a lot faster than
Kubuntu. I'd like to find a way to make Kubuntu run faster, if that's
possible, because I am used to KDE and generally like its features and
applications. But since 4.x(now 4.2) I have really been questioning my
loyalty. Just watching the mouse cursor freeze up each and every time as
the K menu tries to render is beginning to drive me crazy. I no longer
believe the people who say that all you need is more memory and KDE is
fast. It's about as fast as a Mac Plus running off a floppy drive.

Anyway, if someone has found a way to actually make the default Kubuntu
install run faster, I'm all ears. I'll try any tip. BTW I don't have any
3D fluff running, and I do have a decent video card.

Or if you also have given up on KDE I'd like to hear how you
transitioned. I miss Konqueror, it does so much.

Thanks.

Cheerful regards,

Bob