[NBLUG/talk] Speeding up KDE, I'll try anything

Scrappy Laptop scrappylaptop at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 5 13:44:24 PDT 2009

Switch to Konqueror-on-xfce  (xubuntu instead of kubuntu).  I ran this a couple years back on older hardware and loved it.

Be aware that a number of Ubuntu and/or Kubuntu packages will still be installed and running (guide to "getting back to pure xfce" http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce ). Um, try konqueror, perform the cleanup, then install Konqueror again if it breaks?

Since it's been a few years, these may have been fixed by now:
-add a dns cache (konquerer had none, maybe it does now?)
-kill IPv6 if not applicable (helped a lot on a IPv4 only network)

Basics - These are not KDE specific but they do help on almost any system:
-hdparm
-prelinking if *buntu is older or otherwise not running (ymmv)
-reduce color depth to 16
-kill unused daemons, etc.
-kill unneeded consoles in inittab (i.e. free up memory)

-Scrappy