[NBLUG/talk] Speeding up KDE, I'll try anything

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri Aug 7 05:35:20 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 03:18:10PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 02:45:42PM -0700, Troy Arnold wrote:
> > Yes, but thanks for the idea.  The problem is not so much the mechanism of
> > the menu, but that the organization and naming, ahem, conventions are
> > about what you'd expect from the bazaar method of organization.
>
> They try.  You can choose to see apps listed in one of a number of ways:
>
>   Name Only          (e.g., "Kopete")
>   Description Only   (e.g., "Instant Messenger")
>   Name & Description (e.g., "Kopete (Instant Messenger)" or "Kopete - Ins...")
>   Description & Name (e.g., "Instant Messenger (Kopete)")

Thanks, I'd never noticed the setting for this.  I do much better with the
actual names of apps rather than some description which may or may not
match how my brain has categorized it.

> In any case, the heirarchy of application menus on Linux & friends is WAY
> better than what I've seen on Windows.

Hey, no argument there.  It always looks like someone mixed wine,
tequila and cheese whiz and puked up the Start Menu.

-t