[NBLUG/talk] Ripping audio from DVD

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Sun Aug 9 20:55:02 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 07:38:50PM -0700, Andrew wrote:
> I have an unencrypted DVD with about 50 short (2 or 3 minute)
> chapters from which I'd like to rip the audio. I'd like to end
> up with one .wav per chapter. From those, I intend to create
> audio CDs and .mp3s. What's your favorite method for ripping the
> audio?

Here's a scrap I found in my .bash_history that I used to rip the audio
out of a Radiohead DVD.  Once you have the wav's, getting to mp3 is very
easy... I'd use lame.

for i in {2..16};
  do nice -10 transcode -i $PWD -x null,dvd -T 1,${i},1 -a 0 -y wav -J \
  resample -E 44100 -o ~/rh/${i}.wav;
done

The for {2..16} were the tracks (chapters) that I wanted.  Reverse engineer
by reading the man page for transcode because I honestly don't remember
what all that stuff is doing.  I do know it took me a crapton of time to
figure out something that gave acceptable results.  I shoulda bought Linux
Multimedia Hacks ;-)

Oh, $PWD is the VIDEO_TS directory.

-t