[NBLUG/talk] Problems booting Ubuntu 8.10 after maintenance

Steve Bursch sbursch at sonic.net
Tue Feb 24 10:03:53 PST 2009

I have a machine that is running Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop.  I don't use it very often, but I do apply all of the outstanding maintenance about every 2 weeks.  The last time I applied maintenance, it seemed to go on just fine, but upon rebooting, the machine failed to restart.  For about 5 minutes or so, the screen shows the Ubuntu name and logo, and the orange bar that moves back and forth.  Later, I receive the following messages on my display:

Starting up...
     Check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
     or missing modules, devices: cat/proc/modules  ls /dev

ALERT! /dev/disk//by-uuid/d4d587ec-89ed-4b73-9abd-42ccb27a204e does not exist.  Dropping to shell!

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs) _

I'm guessing that my system is hosed and that I need to start over and reinstall Ubuntu.  But before doing that, however, I thought I would check and see if anyone has seen this problem before, or if anyone has any less drastic way of recovering.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance....Steve