[NBLUG/talk] advocacy question

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Mon Jan 26 11:11:40 PST 2009

Hey Mike,

I own a technical consulting company in Santa Rosa that already works
with local schools in deploying open-source solutions (specifically
Ubuntu Linux and LTSP [thin clients]). It's a double win with saving
pretty much 100% in software licensing costs, as well as being able to
use old hardware for new software, since everything runs on the
server-side and the clients are basically graphical 'dumb terminals'
that don't need a whole lot of horsepower to run. If you have low-power
thin-clients running, that = massive energy savings over a typical
desktop client (think 10-30 watts vs. 400). I've also put together cool
money/energy saving things such as automatic client shutdown at a
specified time, which I'm going to be implementing at one of my schools
this week, and if everything works well, at the other 6.

I'd love to meet with you and talk about this more. Shoot me an e-mail
and maybe we can arrange a "field trip" to one of the schools I've been
administrating - that'd probably be the best demo.

Cheers,
Jordan

--
Jordan Erickson
Owner, Logical Networking Solutions

Latest LNS Blogs - http://blog.logicalnetworking.net

	Widespread Windows Worm May Be a Washout
	Fake CNN E-Mail Lures PC Users Into Virus Trap
	Koobface' Virus Spreading Through Facebook