[NBLUG/talk] Drive not detected after moving to a new case

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 13:07:19 PDT 2009

I'm back at my parents' house now, this time with a USB drive
enclosure and my MacBook Pro.  I moved the problematic hard disk into
the USB enclosure and connected it to the MacBook Pro, and as far as I
can tell, it was able to recognize that the drive was there (it can
get as far as telling me that the drive has a capacity of 465.8GB and
one partition), but not surprisingly, it can't read anything on the
drive.  At this point I have no way of knowing how readable the drive
is, nor do I have any spare drives large enough to make a backup image
of it (which would normally be my first response in a situation like
this).

I have a copy of VMWare Fusion, so I'm going to try to download a
Knoppix ISO, boot a virtual machine from there, connect the drive to
the VM, and see if I can use that to read the drive.  It's probably
going to take an hour to download the ISO over my parents' DSL
connection, so if anyone has any better ideas, I'd love to hear them.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>