[NBLUG/talk] Commodore nostalgia

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Wed May 13 17:33:07 PDT 2009

 On Wed 13/05/09  4:00 PM , "Scott Doty" scott at sonic.net sent:
> When I was in junior high, the librarian would let me hang out in the
> projector storage closet, where there was an Apple ][+ on a cart...
>
> I had an odd childhood. :P
>
> -Scott

When I was in Junior High I was playing a game on the Downtown Santa Rosa Library Apple ][+ (in the kids area). The library shut down and the lights were turned off, but I didn't even notice. When I finally did, I scurried down the hallway and found a back exit to sneak out of. I was probably playing Wizardry. One of the programmers of Wizardry is now the president of an Anime company and I got an email from him when I asked a question about bootlegs on ebay. Those guys and Shamino/Lord British were our gods back then. Now if only I ever finished any of the games I started to program, I might be as rich as they are.

One of the old librarians (Kyo) teaches Japanese at the JC. She used to get so mad at us. Sonoma State had a Apple ][+ in the computer center that almost nobody used. I used to take a buss down and spend the whole day messing around with it. Wrote many a term paper on it. Applewriter was so much better than wordstar although I did write one term paper on wordstar. Santa Rosa High was littered with Apples and we figured out that if the teachers/staff liked you, you could get to use just about any of them. We were always hanging out in the library using their computers.

Hmmm. I ran quite a few assassination games at SRHS also. Copied the rules (written in AppleWriter) on the school copier in the principals office (let the vice-principal take cuts in line).

Wrote a graphing program in Basic class that used the then fancy inverse selection menu and actually allowed you to change the formula. Nobody else could get it to let you change the formula, but I wrote it so that it would actually re-write the program with your new formula and then re-run the program. It'd even let you compare graphs.

Anybody remember Beagle Bros?
http://stevenf.com/beagle/

call -151