[NBLUG/talk] FESCo meeting at 10am this morning (was Re: Fwd: Reminder: Fedora Board IRC meeting 1600 UTC 2009-10-01

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Fri Oct 2 05:07:20 PDT 2009

On 09/30/2009 07:00 PM, Scott Doty wrote:
> FYI:
>
> _[/home/scott]_(scott at eva)_
> $ date -d 'Thu Oct 1 16:00:00 UTC 2009'
> Thu Oct  1 09:00:00 PDT 2009
>
> 8D !!

I attended the Fedora Board meeting, was surprised that one of the
topics was to evaluate if Fedora's development was targetting the
audience it intended to target.

Told the q's channel that if Fedora was a college student, it would have
a Major in "World's Best Desktop" with a Minor in "Most Advanced Linux
Server".  (I can articulate why this is the case, at least for my
environment.)

Folks pointed out that they didn't think a distro could be all things to
all people, for which i expressed the half-baked idea that with some
more imagination, it could be.  The key here is to have something that
can be set up to be easy-to-use, but doesn't get in the way of power
users -- easier said than done... but that's how strategic thinking
usually starts ;P

Personally, as a desktop, i prefer to use Fedora over OSX.  Gnome is
great, and i've even been thinking of setting it up for Mom.

I also tried Sugar, which is the desktop for the OLPC project.  It has
the potential of being easy-to-use for kids, but also a "desktop for
Grandma".  But the interface may be _too_ simple for more than just
casual use.  I'm wondering if Fedora might benefit from a desktop that
lands somewhere between Gnome/KDE and Sugar.

The Fedora Engineering Steering Committee meets this morning at 10am PDT
on irc.freenode.net in #fedora-meeting -- and since I use Fedora on all
but one of my desktops, I'm committed to trying to keep it useful for
power users, even while trying to find some way to make it easier to use
for Mom.

Thanks,

  -Scott