[NBLUG/talk] [Fwd: RE: [Fwd: Re: #se7en -- http://windows7sins.org/]]

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Thu Sep 3 16:27:18 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Scott Doty <scott at ponzo.net> wrote:

> (   Maybe we can get him to join this conversation on this mailing
> list?  It would be interesting to see if they even offer Linux for their
> servers...if not, maybe IBM is a better vendor? :)   )

I don't know about the "mainframe"/"mini" servers that HP sells (the new
HP-9000 type stuff, etc), but their intel and AMD servers definitely support
Linux and can be purchased with Linux pre-installed. They'll sell you a
server with Windows, SuSE, RHEL, VMware, or Citrix XenServer pre-installed
(all certified and everything).  They've offered that for at least 5 years
now, certainly more. At SSU we have quite a few HP servers running RHEL;
primarily because Dell was late to support AMD and HP has a much better
lights-out system than Dell.  (and there's state contracts with HP and Dell
that make them easier for us to buy).  I don't what kind of support they
offer, but they do sell laptops with SuSE and desktops/workstations with
RHEL, too.  Back before Dell had any Linux offerings outside of high-priced
"workstations", HP was selling a couple of their laptops with a Debian image
installed.

And BTW: SSU is part of the state of california.  California employs
hundreds of thousands of people with thousands of different IT
departments...
--
Eric Eisenhart <*@eric.eisenhart.name>
http://eric.eisenhart.name/