[NBLUG/talk] grub conflicts with installed packages?

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Thu Apr 22 14:33:56 PDT 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:13:43 -0700, "Bob Blick" said:

> Any suggestions? I am pretty sure that the old grub command is now
> obsolete so what can I do to replace this spell:
>
> grub --no-floppy --no-curses
> device(hd0)/dev/hda
> root(hd0,0)
> setup(hd0)
> EOF

OK, I looked around the webs and found the spell that worked for grub2,
and it is simple:

grub-install /dev/sda

That's all it took! Boots like a charm once again. Grub is still on the
other drive so I didn't need to repeat the command for /dev/sdb

Thanks for the heads-up on grub2.

By the way, here's a RAID thing I finally figured out. When setting up
your RAID array the first time, make the partitions a few percent
smaller than you actually could. That way if you ever need to replace a
drive you don't have to get exactly the same make and model to insure
the partition fits, you can get anything, even if the replacement is a
little smaller. An example of this is two drives I have, a Maxtor 160 GB
drive and a Seagate 160 GB drive and the Seagate is actually 1 GB
smaller.

Cheerful regards,

Bob