[NBLUG/talk] Problems booting Ubuntu 10.04

Andrew argonaut at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 10:47:28 PDT 2010

Steve Bursch wrote on Thu, 03 Jun 2010 23:16:01 -0700:

> I have a machine on which I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04.
[...]
> Now, the machine fails to boot every time.  With
> previous versions of Ubuntu, I've had similar problems, and
> the fix was to add "rootdelay=130" to the kernel entry in the
> grub menu.  Unfortunately, the grub menu no longer appears;
> pressing the ESC key has no effect.

Ubuntu 10.04 uses GRUB 2, which is completely different from the
old GRUB we all know and love. As it so happens, Kyle will be
talking on that very subject at the NBLUG meeting on Tuesday.
But I'm guessing you'd prefer not to wait until then. Well, this
post in the Ubuntu Forums will get you up to speed with the new
GRUB:  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

To bring up the GRUB menu when booting, hold down the SHIFT key.
The developers changed this from the well-known ESC key just to
fsck with everybody. They're laughing at you right now.

Once the menu comes up, you can edit it the same way you did
with the old GRUB to add your rootdelay entry. Hopefully, this
will get you up and running.

As for making the rootdelay change permanent, I can't help you
there (yet). GRUB 2's configuration files are completely
different from the old GRUB. The Forum post may tell you what to
do, but I haven't read through it yet. It's very long. I'll just
go to Kyle's talk.

Good luck!

A.