[NBLUG/talk] "Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0"

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 16:21:04 PDT 2010

Good news and bad news: I powered off the computer a second time (this
time so I could get behind it and plug in a new keyboard), and this
time the network interface worked perfectly.  However, that means that
I can't try any of these suggestions until the next time it starts
acting up, and since I live in the south bay now, I probably won't be
in the area the next time it fails (although there's a slim chance it
will fail before I head home tomorrow; I wouldn't count on it).

Michael:
I didn't run "ifconfig -a", but my recollection of the "ifconfig"
output was that it showed eth0, but no IP address.  That rather
surprised me.

Troy:
Interesting theory about the BIOS/module issue.  I'll have to make a
note of which particular kernel module is being used, so that if I
have to, I can talk my parents through a "modprobe" command and see if
that works.

I'll also look into the unattended-upgrades package, although at some
point what I really want to do is set up either a VPN or SSH tunnel so
that I can administer and troubleshoot their computer remotely,
including doing software updates (not that it'll do much good if the
Ethernet port is intermittently failing, I'll admit).  But that's a
topic for another thread.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>