[NBLUG/talk] dual-head display, need two different bgs

Jim Bianchi jimbo at sonic.net
Mon Feb 21 21:01:49 PST 2011

I'm using Debian lenny. I have a dual-head nVidia vid card and have
hooked up a pair of monitors and it's working very well. (I purposely do
not use xinerama.)

When I click on either monitors' root screen, I get a box the bottom
line of which is change desktop background. Clicking on that gives me
another box the title of which is Appearance Preferences and I'm then
presented w/several images of which I can select one. The selected one
will become the new root window image for BOTH desktops.

My question is: How can I set things up such that clicking on one root
desktop will allow selection of an image for that desktop only? I want a
way to have a different root image on both desktops.