[NBLUG/talk] Need help with booting Linux system

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Mar 16 11:12:32 PDT 2011

On 03/16/2011 01:08 PM, Todd Cary wrote:
> I did what probably rates as the dumbest thing possible with my Linux
> server (Centos 4): deleted the boot files. However, I caught the error
> *before* doing a reboot and found many (I hope all) of the files, but
> due to my limited Linux admin experience, I have concern about rebooting
> without having someone with more expertise than I have to be present at
> that moment.
>
> I downloaded the latest version of Centos 4.8 and have it on disks, so
> the repair program is present. This server is quite simple: just use it
> to share images, test php applications and to ftp work to others. For
> this reason, it only gets touched by me to back up data (unfortunately,
> not the system) and to do yum updates. As a result, I do not have
> occasion to use Linux often enough to keep my skill set up.
>
> For being here to help with the reboot, I am willing to pay someone...
>
> Todd
>
> Petaluma, CA

I wouldn't stress too much about the reboot.  Keep a LiveCD (such as
SystemRescueCD) handy when you do the reboot, as well as a CentOS CD.
In the event of a boot problem, just boot into SystemRescueCD, copy the
needed files from off of the Centos disk to your HD, and then try
rebooting again.

HTH,

DR