[NBLUG/talk] Need help in "repairing" the booting of my Linux 4 server

E Frank Ball III frankb at frankb.us
Mon Mar 21 18:00:45 PDT 2011

Todd,

Your using LVM (Logical Volume Manager), which is complicated, but it's
a way of mapping disk drive partitions into volumes that can be managed
(resized, reallocated).  I'm much more familiar with Debian/Unbuntu,
which don't use LVM.

If you look at the /dev directory you will probably see /dev/hda, /dev/hda1,
/dev/hda2 exist, but that's not the way the system addresses them.

I have Redhat Enterprise 4 system I can look at:

/boot/grub/grub.conf has this line: #boot=/dev/hda

"fdisk /dev/hda" shows:
	/dev/hda1   *           1          25      200781   83  Linux
	/dev/hda2              26        4865    38877300   8e  Linux LVM

"cat fstab" shows:

	# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
	/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                 ext3    defaults        1 1
	LABEL=/boot             /boot              ext3    defaults        1 2

I don't know how /dev/hda1 gets mapped to "LABEL=/boot".
Looking at /dev/VolGroup00/ doesn't show anything useful.

grub doesn't understand LVM, so you have a separate /boot parition.  In
my example above it's /dev/hda1 (note the fdisk output showing Id=83,
system=Linux).

Have you tried rebooting again?  grub-install /dev/hda may have fixed it.

   E Frank Ball                efball at efball.com