[NBLUG/talk] Glitches in a VirtualBox guest?

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 20:17:05 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Bob Blick <bobblick at ftml.net> wrote:
> Almost all the crashes like that I've ever seen have turned out to be
> hardware problems. If you can take the whole computer offline I'd
> suggest running MemTest86 overnight and see if you get any red lines.

Sounds like a good idea, but I tried burning the CD image from
<http://www.memtest86.com/>, and it hung almost immediately after I
told it which version to run.  And it didn't matter which of the
available versions I selected.

I did a bit more research this evening, and found several mentions of
the problem on variosu forums but no suggested fixes.  I did find a
fork called MemTest86+ which is allegedly more reliable on newer
hardware.  Do you think that would work better?  If so, I can burn it
to another CD and let it run overnight after close-of-business
tomorrow.

Thanks.

--
Lincoln Peters