[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu 12.04 dual monitor problems [not solved but working...]

Christopher Wagner waggie at waggie.net
Sun May 27 00:35:23 PDT 2012

Interesting..  I'm glad that the 11.04 xorg.conf and hocus pocus worked.

Given the problems with jockey, I would probably just forget trying to
use that and try installing the ATI proprietary drivers from their site,
if you're feeling adventurous..  I don't have any clues off the top of
my head about why the jockey interface isn't working right.

The Live CDs generate their config on the fly, without a config file,
xorg has some nifty features for that.  Yeah, theoretically the Live CDs
are supposed to be the same as a default install, but it never seems to
work that way in reality.  I think perhaps because they're trying to
support a wider range of hardware with the Live CD, or simply because
the Live CD is using slightly different versions of various software and
hardware databases, but it's all speculation on my part.  As far as the
mouse problems with the Live CD, I have seen strange problems with mice
(especially trackpads) and Live CDs.  I don't have much in the way of
guesses here.

I have found with some computers (frequently with inexpensive HPs., and
inexpensive computers in general), Linux just has more issues with them
because of bizarre combinations of cheap hardware the manufacturer uses
to tweak their costs down as much as possible.  So fighting issues like
this on cheap computers seems to just be par for the course.

Anyway, I hope this helps in some way..

- Chris