[NBLUG/talk] Appropriate subject matter for talks

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 13:37:13 PDT 2013

q.v. "Mathematica" software package.  From Wikipedia:

"Mathematica is proprietary software restricted by both copyright law
and trade secret.

A regular single-user license for Mathematica used in a commercial
environment costs $2495 although new customers can purchase the
"Starter Edition" for $995. They include eight additional kernels for
parallel computations and one year of service that includes updates,
technical support, a home use license, a webMathematica Amateur
license,[48] a Wolfram Workbench license and three Mathematica Player
Pro licenses. Discounts are available for government, charity,
educational, pre-college, school, student, home use[49] and retiree
use and depend on geographical region. Student licenses cost $140. A
general "home use" license ("Mathematica Home Edition") is also
available to the public and is priced at $295. Educational site
licenses allow use by students at home. A license manager similar to
FLEXnet is available to provide sharing of licenses within a group."

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Zack Gold <zack at nblug.org> wrote:
> Mathematics can be proprietary!?
>

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM, jezra <jezra at jezra.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Glenn,
>> When determining if a presentation is appropriate, it is important to
>> see how well the topic fits withing Article 2 of the NBLUG
>> Constitution http://nblug.org/constitution which delineates the purpose
>> of NBLUG. While a presentation of mathematics by itself may not fit
>> within the guidelines, a discussion of Open Source mathematics software
>> certainly would.
>>
>> jezra
>>

>> On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 20:01:02 -0700
>> Glenn Kerbein <glenn at spontaneousdancing.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello NBLUGers,
>> >
>> > I am throwing around an idea in my head. I'm far from solidifying it
>> > and putting it on paper.
>> >
>> > I was thinking about giving a discussion on mathematics -
>> > specifically the derivative and it's real-world applications.
>> >
>> > Is this appropriate for NBLUG?
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Glenn

> --
> Zack Gold
> NBLUG Scribe

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of
childishness and the desire to be very grown up."      -CS Lewis