[NBLUG/talk] Request for info on video cams for protection againstburglary

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Thu Jul 25 12:10:00 PDT 2013

In a rural area I'd probably want one or more dogs. Barring that or possibly in addition you can pick up a battery powered ding donger at Harbor Freight for around $12. It's a motion detector that radios to a home unit up to 400 feet away that makes a sound like a door bell. The stock unit has a little red light on it that lights when you set it off. I just covered it with some dark tape. You place it where it's unlikely to be spotted pointing across your driveway or somewhere similar and it alerts you to someone coming along. I have one on the front driveway. Depending on how high/low you set it small animals could set it off though. It's not much help if nobody is home, but you can set the reciever on loud and place it so that someone KNOWS they have been detected. On loud it's loud enough to wake me up.

If you get video cameras you might want to get uninteruptable power supplies to power it; the kind for computers. Then if they cut the power the system keeps on working. You can do a test and find out how long or you can figure it out if you do the math. The cameras alone don't do much to protect you though. They can make someone move on to an easier target or they can record evidence but they won't stop anything and I don't think they alert you although maybe they've figured a way to do that.

(imagine a cute or dirty tagline here)

 On Thu 25/07/13 11:54 AM , Roger House rhouse at sonic.net sent: