[NBLUG/talk] Newbie questions about systemd, Fedora 19

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 16:09:19 PDT 2013

Starting a terminal session -- or any other specific tool -- is pretty
standard stuff for "do this when I login" automation.

Modifying network settings is a bit more exotic, though.  I mean, I
can definitely see some purpose to it -- if it's a workstation you'd
like to have offline and essentially un-hackable while you're away,
turning the network port(s) off when you logout and on when you login
seems a decent step (although there's always the risk of relying on
those steps and not adequately hardening the system).  But, in
general, most *NIXes presume that network settings are boot-time
configurations, not login-centric.

FWIW and all that...

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Michael Tucker <mchltckr80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I want to start up a console and run a command or two so that after I log on
> I can already have a terminal session going and some modified network
> settings. Documentation I have read so far talks about using systemctl, and
> not init.d. I know this is pretty basic stuff, but does anyone have a
> favorite wiki that they use to refer to outside of the distributions home
> page?
>
> Thank you,
> Michael

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of
childishness and the desire to be very grown up."      -CS Lewis