[NBLUG/talk] SSD failure rates and RAID

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Sun Dec 6 09:54:51 PST 2015

I have long advocated a second drive with a daily rsync or even local
backup set vs raid. In my experiences raid 1 generally doesn't just keep
going during a failure event and due to identical drive use the drives
tend to fail around the same time.  It is also very important to not
mistake raid 1 for a backup system. It will happily mirror any sort of
file corruption (virus, mistakes, hacking) from one drive to the other.