[NBLUG/talk] Small, not embedded hardware.

Glenn Kerbein glenn at spontaneousdancing.net
Sun Feb 8 12:21:20 PST 2015

Hello LUG members,

I'm currently constructing a new network for my home. I've used some
decent Linksys units with Wireless N capability; but they cannot do
PPPOE without a username or password.
My first question is this: does anyone know of any all-in-one
router/switch/wireless units that can do passwordless PPPOE? DD-WRT does
not have this capability (nor does Tomato), IIRC.

My second question is this: I was thinking about rolling out some legacy
hardware and turning it into a router. I am erring against a full-blown
(mini-)ATX computer for power consumption and hardware cost reasons. I
was looking at the Arduino board with some additional Ethernet ports
outfitted. The issue is that there doesn't appear to be any routing
software (Quagga) available for this platform.

Buying a full-blown business class Cisco unit is not really within my
price range ($200 for a consumer-usage router is steep).

Thank you for your input.
Glenn.

--
Delta