[NBLUG/talk] Any simple mechanism to control devices behind firewalls without port forwarding?

Omar Eljumaily omar at omnicode.com
Thu Feb 12 13:57:46 PST 2015

I have to put a device behind a firewall, and they don't know how to do
a port forward at the site.  I don't think they want me to mess with
their firewall either.  The device supports SNMP apparently.

I was thinking that I could rig something up where I put in an
intermediary device on their network that sends messages out every
minute or so talking to a server that will relay messages back to the
device.  Once I get a hit at the server, the messages can go faster than
once a minute.

Is there anything that does this already?  It seems like it would be
handy since there are an increasing amount of monitoring devices that
people want installed and controlled, and I don't think people want to
punch a hole in their firewalls for each device.

Thanks,

Omar