[NBLUG/talk] Address book sharing

Omar Eljumaily omar at omnicode.com
Wed Jan 7 08:14:15 PST 2015

Does anybody have any tips on apps/servers for email address book
sharing across clients?  I've looked at this and nothing sounds very
exciting.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sharing_address_books

In the old days people used to have just one email client which stored
their address books.  Nowadays the requirements have greatly increased.
These all seem to have to share the same (or similar) address books now:

1. Different desktop clients like Thunderbird and Outlook.
2. Mobile and tablet clients
3. Web based clients
4. Central company wide CRM data

I think the idea of a single server that all clients can access
transparently is not reasonable.  It's probably a matter of a simple
server/data store somewhere which most clients can access, and for the
ones that can't the data can be pushed.  That's what I'm thinking.

The embedded IMAP store seems reasonable because at least you'll have
the data if you don't have the mechanisms to use it transparently.

Thanks,

Omar