[NBLUG/talk] Trying to pick up a WiFi signal

Zack Gold zg at nblug.org
Sun Jan 25 17:47:37 PST 2015

Hello NBLUGers,

My university doesn't provide WiFi or Ethernet access to my apartment.
They expect us to pay Time Warner Cable for Cable Internet, then they
reimburse us for the semester, which equates to about 5 Mbps.

I am not very far from campus -- about 200 feet from the nearest hotspot.
Would it be possible to pick up the signal using an antenna?  It would have
to: a) be undetectable (I don't want ITS knocking on my door), b) fast (I
want to beat 5 Mbps), and, most importantly, c) resistant to freezing cold
environments (the weather in Rochester is AWFUL -- I'm moving to California
when I graduate).

Please advise, and thank you.
Zack