[NBLUG/talk] Trying to pick up a WiFi signal

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Sun Jan 25 18:59:09 PST 2015

Hi Zack!

I worked for over a year in a situation where the wifi was 125 ft away
with two walls(mine and theirs). I had some control over the antenna on
the access point - as long as it was a dipole. I tried four types of
antennas on my end, a standard dipole, a high gain dipole, a cantenna,
and a log-periodic(yagi) from HSC. On the high-gain dipole I tried it by
itself and also after adding a parabolic cardboard+foil reflector. The
log-periodic probably would have worked really well if there had been
one on the other end. The high-gain dipole with reflector worked best,
except when there was a microwave oven in operation. Not just the oven
under my control. The cantenna gave the best performance when microwaves
were in use. But I still had downtime almost every hour. Bitrate when it
was working varied dramatically. This was all 2.4GHz. I had better
uptime with 802.11b than the faster alternative. The final approach used
the hi-gain dipole with reflector on the access point, and the cantenna
on the client side.

I tried a USB adapter attached to asian cookware and that seemed to work
well, but the USB approach didn't match my needs. I expect it would also
have suffered from regular downtime just like all the other tested
approaches.

My sympathies and best of luck.

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free