[NBLUG/talk] UNIX System V backup woes

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Nov 11 13:16:58 PST 2015

I do think it had compression, but I didn't trust that it was compatible
with anything else so I left it off as the file sizes were really not an
issue. Man was the first place I looked. I should have tried gzip
though, don't know if it was there or not. I ended up taring the major
directories and just doing a sync using WinSCP scripted of the large
database directories which wouldn't tar into one file due to size
limitations. Never did get spanning to work with tar. It seemed to be
set up to span across physical media but not into individual files. The
solution works nicely and is automated. They are probably dumping the
system in about six months and going "to the cloud" like so many others.
Never did get a terminal window under putty to work right with all the
correct keys. Ended up editing files in notepad and then just dumping
them into vi.