[NBLUG/talk] Cheap options for leased servers

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 15:16:31 PST 2015

The VPS providers that are highest on my radar (though I haven't tried
either yet--too broke) are:

http://prgmr.com/ - Locally (-ish) based (San Jose, to be exact) with a
pretty solid CLA (though I can't find it now) and the company motto is "We
don't assume you are stupid." The owner is the author of The Book of Xen. <
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593271867>

http://ovh.com/ - Around since 1999, they offer stupid cheap VPSs. Their
dedicated server offering supports a ridiculous number of Linux
distributions (including Gentoo!) <
https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/os.xml?range=HOST> though I can't
figure out what distributions their VPS service supports without creating
an account.

Also possibly worth looking at:

http://www.vultr.com/ - Pretty much a me-too copy of Digital Ocean. Cheaper
than DO, and offers the ability to upload an arbitrary ISO to boot your VM
from (for the people that just have to have NoMad Linux or NixOS or
whatever on their server). I've heard scary things about their quality of
service, though.

William Tracy
afishionado at gmail.com
(408) 685-4819