[NBLUG/talk] UNIX System V backup woes

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Fri Oct 23 10:04:03 PDT 2015

I'm trying to create a backup process for this system and it has an
antiquated version of tar. I tried:

tar cvf /backup/backup.tar /

but this results in an error because the file is too big (2.14G) for the
OS. I probably should just break it down into segments backing up
individual directories. I tried some spanning commands, but I think
their designed for specific devices and not files. Haven't tried copying
the boot sectors yet, hope that is normal.

I worked on this system before, it's a bit like administering Linux with
one hand tied behind your back. Everything is sorta the same, but
different and doesn't always work the way you expect.

Also going to look into scripting WinSCP as it can connect and pull of
files for backup to one of the win servers.