[NBLUG/talk] UNIX System V backup woes

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Mon Oct 26 16:05:24 PDT 2015

Use backticks ("tar cf - `ls | grep -v backup` | ...") instead of $(),
then. I guess $() is too new for that box, but `` has been around for a
very long time.

If you're ssh'ing into the system from a modern unix system, you could do
"ssh root at OLDSERVER tar cf - / | dd of=/backup/oldserver-backup.tar" to get
the tar locally...