[NBLUG/talk] Open Source affected by POTUS 2016?

Omar Eljumaily omar at omnicode.com
Mon Sep 21 15:16:01 PDT 2015

Is there an opportunity to write some open source code?  Online voter
registration seems like a natural open source project.  You could also
add features to it that encouraged people to participate in discussions
that forwarded the political process instead of the idiotic debates and
media circus acts that were seeing.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/view_from_chicago/2015/08/lawrence_lessig_presidential_campaign_donate_before_labor_day_for_citizen.html

Lessig says that his sole mission as president would be to persuade
Congress to pass the Citizen Equality Act
<https://lessigforpresident.com/the-act/>, which would implement three
reforms to the political system. First, it would guarantee the “equal
right to vote” by enhancing the power of the federal government to
control how states conduct elections, requiring states to provide for
online or automated voter registration, and shifting Election Day to a
national holiday.

Second, it would guarantee “equal representation” by banning
gerrymandering of districts. Lessig also endorses an idea called
“ranked-choice voting,” where voters rank the candidates rather than
vote for just one. The candidate who receives the highest aggregate
ranking wins. (You can find the somewhat complicated details here
<http://www.fairvote.org/reforms/fair-representation-voting/>.)

Third, it would provide for “citizen-funded elections.” All voters would
be given vouchers that they could use to contribute to political
campaigns, and small contributions would be matched from public funds.
Rules blocking government officials from becoming lobbyists would be
strengthened.