[NBLUG/talk] Dell Inspiron 6000 unknown hardware issue

Graeme Cooper graemecooper1234 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 10:00:38 PDT 2017

Hi,

This question is for those who consider themselves experienced in the field
of hardware. My Dell Inspiron 6000 (yes, it's old, I know) has had a
hardware problem since before I got it which causes it to not power up
properly about seven-eighths of the time. It typically does one of three
different things when this occurs: sometimes it powers up for a few
seconds, then shuts back off; sometimes it powers up, but the screen and
keyboard appear to not be working; and sometimes, it powers up and goes
through the BIOS screen, and then, either at or directly before the GRUB
menu, it hangs, and I can't do anything except shut it back off. I've
Googled it, and found some forum entries related to this, but not exactly
about it. I think it might be the PMU, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know
what could be causing this?

-Graeme Cooper