[NBLUG/talk] I need some help installing.

E Frank Ball III frankb at frankb.us
Thu Mar 29 17:10:24 PDT 2018

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 08:11:07AM -0700, Robert Sterler wrote:
 >    I am a relative newbie to Linux. I need some help installing. So I bought
 >    a copy of Ubuntu 17.04 and tried to install it on an old 32 bit computer.
 >    After booting to the CD it gives me an error message it cannot install for
 >    many reasons. It will not even run Ubuntu without installing. I know the
 >    computer works because it will boot into Windows XP.

Ubuntu 17.10 desktop is 64 bit only.  Ubuntu Server is available in 32
bit.  You could install the server (text console only, no graphics),
then install xorg and a window manager, but I really can't recommend
that for a beginner.

For old 32-bit machines I recommend (and use) Debian.  They keep more
old hardware drivers around than anyone else, and you can get a small
install.

How much RAM do you have?  If not much, then the default desktops
probably use too much RAM, but you can switch to a lighter weight window
manager after it's up and running.  Many to choose from.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us