[NBLUG/talk] Linux Mint's "popularity, " package management, and features + NBLUG 7/12 meeting recap

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 18 18:09:21 PDT 2022

Quoting Brad Morrison (bradmorrison at sonic.net):
> [quoting me]
>
>> Yes.  As the maintainer (since 2003) of the Linux User Group HOWTO, I've
>> done my best to capture the matter here:
>> http://linuxmafia.com/lug/User-Group-HOWTO-7.html#ss7.1
>>
>> (That's the maintainer tip version at my Web site.  The Linux
>> Documentation Project publishes the HOWTO, but doesn't always carry the
>> current version.  Long story.)

Basically, the guy who is alleged to currently be the sole operators of
TLDP unilaterally decided circa 2014 to require that all new HOWTO
revisions would be required to be via GitHub (which is now a Microsoft
subsidiary) -- and did nothing to inform us HOWTO authors.

When I finally chased down the problem of why TLDP was ignoring my
revisions, around 2019, I politely declined to enter into a business
relationship with for-profit firm GitHub, Inc. merely to submit
free-licensed documentation to TLDP, and politely advised the new TLDP
guy that he was entirely welcome to check in my revisions himself, but
that I was not aboard with his outsourcing plan.

He continued to ignore the next three updates, and I've just advised
TLDP's public mailing list for contributors of the fourth, v. 1.8.8.

Unless I'm pleasantly surprised, TLDP will ignore this revision, too.

You can find it in http://linuxmafia.com/lug/ , in both multipage and
single-page HTML formats, and as LinuxDoc SGML "source".  It merges in
six years of updates since v. 1.8.7.

I'm right now informing the illustrious Kara Pritchard's site
https://www.linuxusersgroups.org/ that their copy of the HOTWO (1.6.2
from 1998) is _way_ out of date, and where to get the revisions TLDP is
ignoring.

> There doesn't seem to be any functioning national/international LUG
> and I went through a lot of dead links trying to even find a list of
> local groups. I did find https://www.linuxusersgroups.org/ but it is
> pretty out of date and NBLUG doesn't seem to be listed there.

http://linuxmafia.com/lug/User-Group-HOWTO-3.html is now a fairly
accurate and current list of LUG lists.  As the saying from Hitchhiker's
Guide to the Galaxy goes, "Share and enjoy!"

The Curlie (formerly dmoz.org) Linux User Groups category _does_ list
NBLUG, by the way.  The North American part of that category is
maintained by yr. humble servant.