[NBLUG/talk] I just posted about tonight's NBLUG meeting on NextDoor Santa Rosa

Brad Morrison bradmorrison at sonic.net
Tue Jun 14 05:56:39 PDT 2022

Hi all,

In the search for new members or just people interested in learning
about open source software/Linux, I just posted about tonight's NBLUG
meeting on NextDoor Santa Rosa.

I included a few links for the vast majority of my Santa Rosa neighbors
who probably don't even know what Linux is or even open source software
is and have likely not intentionally used/sought out any open source
software. That got me thinking though - which Linux/OSS news sites do
NBLUG members use most frequently? When you talk about Linux/OSS to
someone who doesn't know/understand/use such technology, what resources
do you refer them to?

This is my NextDoor post, for anyone that wants to like/comment on it
and hopefully drive more attention to NBLUG:
https://nextdoor.com/p/kz3bJfq3thYb?view=detail

As far as other promotional opportunities, I have thought that it might
make sense to reach out to the only makerspace that I know of in Sonoma
County, Chimera in Sebastopol: https://www.chimeraarts.org/

I have also briefly talked to Janeen Murray at Sonoma County Go Local
Cooperative (https://sonomacounty.golocal.coop/) about looking into the
potential uses of open source technology in locally based businesses, as
the big tech giants are the exact opposite of a local business and open
licensing allows local businesses to compete more effectively with
larger corporations.

Thanks!

Brad