[NBLUG/talk] Fwd: California Voice Service Quality Public Participation Hearings

Jim Oser oserj at oserconsulting.com
Mon Nov 14 20:30:47 PST 2022

Once upon a time, I attended Linux meetings at O'Reilly's, perl meetings in Santa Rosa, and Mac meetings in Rohnert Park.

At that time one or more members of nblug were employees at sonic.net

This post isn't relevant to linux, but it a post that would interest geeks in California, especially geeks, who work for or did work for sonic.net, so please don't

> $ rm -rf *

Do you know anything about this?

Have you received any email about R2203016 or "*Rulemaking 22-03-016* to the CPUC"?

I live in the north end of Novato. Our phone and Internet service has always been different than the rest of Novato and rest of Marin County. We have a Frontier landline (POTS = Plain Old Telephone Service). Sonic.net in Santa Rosa does not service north Novato because of the Frontier central office is different than the central offices in the rest of Northern California (former PacBell).

We got the below cryptic email because we have a Frontier landline POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service).

With a little googling I found the CPUC (California Public Utilities Commision) Facebook page, which states:
California Public Utilities Commission
November 7 at 2:45 pm

> We will hold remote public forums on Dec. 6 at 6 p.m. and Dec. 8 at 1 p.m. to provide an opportunity for customers of various telephone, mobile voice, and Voice over the Internet Protocol (VoIP) service providers to offer their input to the CPUC regarding their quality of voice services: https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/…/cpuc-to-hold-public-forums-on-tel… <https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/%E2%80%A6/cpuc-to-hold-public-forums-on-tel%E2%80%A6>
> Comment online if you can’t join us: https://apps.cpuc.ca.gov/c/R2203016

If you google: CPUC R2203016
it will take you to a webpage, whose headings say: Proceedings, Documents, Rulings, Decisions, Public Comment
If you click on the Public Comment tab, there are comments from all over California, complaining about cell phone and landline service from all companies, not just Frontier.

You can also copy and paste these links, be sure to include the funny ::: at the end of the link

https://apps.cpuc.ca.gov/apex/f?p=401:65:0::NO:::

Go to: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi2ppuUqa_7AhWLGzQIHSgwASIQFnoECBAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fapps.cpuc.ca.gov%2Fp%2FR2203016&usg=AOvVaw3wTvPtcpIr-vlZgvBSAMp8

Any opinions?

Jim