[Security Announce] MDKSA-2002:040 - openssh update (fwd)

ME dugan at passwall.com
Tue Jun 25 12:06:47 PDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, derf wrote:
> My server is coloed in Texas - you'll hear the screams when I reboot and ssh
> doesn't come back.

Here is a procedure I have found to work with the openssh-3.3 source
install for my debian systems: (Stolen from the README.privsep in part -
well mostly)

# mkdir /var/empty
# chown root.sys /var/empty
# chmod 755 /var/empty
# addgroup sshd
# useradd -g sshd sshd

Without the above, sshd wont even start with the default
UsePrivilegeSeparation enabled (in openssh-3.3 it is enabled if not
explicitly turned off)

(assuming /usr/local/etc/sshd_config is the location of your sshd_config)

Look for the following names in your sshd_config file:
UsePrivilegeSeparation
Compression

If they do not exist, the safest seems to be:
UsePrivilegeSeparation Yes
Compression No

added at the end.

So far I have found "Compression no" works with the 2.2 series kernels
while nothing or "Compression yes" causes sshd to not accept requests.
My tests only included openssl-0.9.6d.
Omission of "Compression no" is the same as "Compression yes"

After testing a 2.4 series kernel I have found "Compression yes" to work.

NOTE: it defaults to "Compression yes" if not included in the sshd_config
file.
NOTE: "yes" is not he same as "Yes". Use "yes". Do not use "Yes"

-ME