[NBLUG/talk] Re: ImageMagick (sjs)

Steve Smith sjs at sonic.net
Sat Aug 7 19:49:02 PDT 2004

> > and this sort of works, but I end up with the image offset
> > by 30+50 pixels.  I tried using -geometry and -crop in every
> > combination I can think of and also -chop, but nothing seems
> > to work as I'd expect.
>
> I don't understand this part.  What do you mean when you say you "end
> up with the image offset by 30+50 pixels"?  If you want to crop the
> original from the upper left hand corner, just change the 30+50
> argument to +0+0.
Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply.  Let me research this a bit more.  I chose
.png because it seems more suitable for displaying a text image
i.e. black/white with anti-alias.   I think I found a bug in
ImageMagick and have pulled down the latest version.  I
still need to build and verify the problem.

What I mean by "offset by" is that when I run identify on
the file or try to look at it in gimp, ident gives me
something like "500x700+30+50" and gimp shows the image
offset in the canvas.  With jpeg's the image looks like
you would expect: identify gives "500x700+0+0" and the image
is centered in the canvas in gimp.

For jpegs -- which I guess everybody uses -- things look fine.

Steve S.