[NBLUG/talk] Forensics : finding changed files

Rick ricklyb2 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 10:11:40 PST 2005

Hi Everyone,

 I  have a *nix box that hasn't been used much, and I want to search through the filesystems to see what changes have been made since it was installed.  Basically, I can ignore any changes in the last few days, and all the files that were installed as part of the original installation.  This seems like a simple problem, but the find command seems too limited to accomplish this task for the filesystem as a whole.  Or maybe it's just me, but I haven't been able to use the find command solve this problem.

 One simple solution would be to produce a list of all files and their last modification date, then sort this list by date.  Unfortunately, I haven't found an easy way to accomplish this task.

 I'm sure there must be a trivial solution to this problem.  Before I develop a brute force method, does anyone know an easier way to gather this information?  This is a rather basic box, with only the standard commands and shells available.

 Thanks,
 Rick

http://mail.yahoo.com