[NBLUG/talk] OT - 120v car adapter

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Sat Dec 23 11:19:19 PST 2006

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 09:51:56AM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
> Sounds like good advice.
>
> Probably enough for the Stinkpad T60p for a couple hours at a time, it is
> fairly efficient even on battery.

You know, if that's all you want to do, it's probably a good idea to see if
somebody makes a car->laptop adapter that would work for you.  Going from
12VDC to 120VDC back to 12VDC is probably inefficient, when all you really
need to do is clean up the power, limit the current and maybe change the
voltage slightly.  Going from a
transformer->inverter->rectifier->transformer circuit (or is it i->t->t->r?
I dunno) to a single much smaller transformer should be a big win.  But
note: I'm not any kind of electronics engineer.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder
Jabber/XMPP/GTalk: freiheit at gmail.com